My Internet connection is fine - why am I getting disconnects?
Unfortunately, having an excellent Internet connection doesn't mean you won't see an occasional disconnect.
There are a number of things that could result in disconnection from the chess server:
- Not having cleared cookies & history in a long time
- Downloads or uploads (even sending email) in the background
- Instant messenger clients
- Memory-resident anti-virus software
- Other browser tabs with streaming content
- Browser add-ons
- Using a USB wifi key
Here are some things you can do to minimize the risk of disconnects while you play:
1. Use a trustworthy browser: Chrome or Firefox - not Internet Explorer
2. Limit your use of messaging clients, media players, YouTube (etc.), sending/receiving emails, multiple tabs or anything else that may consume a lot of memory
3. Do maintenance chores regularly, clearing cookies, history, temporary internet files ("cache")
4. Suspend or terminate any memory-resident software that may perform memory-intensive background operations
keywords: disconnect disconnection connect connection live chess internet lag