How can I stay safe on Chess.com?
The internet can be a dangerous place, and there are some tips and rules you should follow to make sure you and your family stay safe!
- Remember to log out of your account before you leave the computer, even if it’s a home computer.
- Never open an attachment from someone you don’t know. No matter how tempting! These can often contain viruses or spyware.
- Never share your password with anyone! A Chess.com staff member will never ask for your password.
- Do not upload any pictures of yourself that you do not want everyone to see. Once something is on the internet it is very difficult, if not impossible, to remove it.
- Never respond to messages or forum posts that are suggestive, obscene, belligerent, or harassing. Don't take part! Simply report it to Chess.com support.
- Never send money or account information to a non-validated source. Memberships are bought through our membership page. A Chess.com staff member will never ask for money directly.
- If someone sends you a link, look carefully at the web address before clicking. If it is from someone you don't know, avoid clicking!
- Never give out identifying information such as your name, home address, school name, or telephone number. This kind of information can be used to steal your accounts, not just your Chess.com account, but your bank, email or more! Keep that info to yourself!
- Understand that whatever you are told online may or may not be true! When people are anonymous, they can say anything with little consequence, keep that in mind when reading posts online.