What is Daily Chess?
Daily Chess is also referred to as Turn-based and Correspondence-style chess. The latter term highlights the similarity between this type of Internet chess and games played by letters sent through the mail. In both cases, games can take days or even months, with players having a number of days in which to make each move.
For example, in a Daily game configured for 3 days per move, you would have a full 72 hours to make your move. Once you move, your clock resets back to the full 3 days. Unlike Live chess, the time limit in Daily chess refers to the amount of time per move, not the total time that you have to play the whole game.
With Daily games, you can log out of the site and your game will still be there when you come back. You can check on your game throughout the day whenever you have time to make a move. It's easy to see why people often play many Daily games at once!
Starting a new Daily game
From your home-page, hover over the 'play' icon, and click on 'Daily chess'
This will take you to your Daily chess page, where all your ongoing games are displayed. If you haven't started any, you'll need to click on the 'new game' button to the right!
Click on this button and you'll be presented with another list of options:
If you like how it looks, just click play again and you'll be paired with someone in a moment! You can also look at some of the other options in this window:
- Play - Create an open challenge to anyone on the site by choosing a Game Type (Standard or Chess960) and Time Control, and clicking the "Play" button. It's that easy!
- Open Challenges - View open challenges that other users have created. If you see an opponent you wish to play, simply click on their challenge to accept it.
- Play a Friend - If you'd like to quickly play someone from your friends list, you can click "Play a Friend" to create a challenge for that member.
- Join a Tournament - This will show you the open tournaments that you can join. More info here.
- Custom Challenge - Customize your challenge to be more specific by clicking on the "Custom Challenge" button. This will give you a variety of options described below.
If you want to change what kind of game challenge you're sending out, you can change the options before you click 'play'
- Time (Days per move) - your options range from 1 to 14 days for each move. Three days per move is the default.
- Type -Standard Chess or Chess960 (a variant in which the pieces on the bank rank appear in a randomized order - see here for more details)
- Vs Random - the default setting is to match you with a random player. You can change this to challenge one of your friends instead.
- Rated - toggle off if you don’t want the game to affect your rating.
More Options - Click on the ‘options’ button for even more options. Be sure you have set the ‘Time’ setting to 1 day or more, otherwise not all options will be visible.
- Title - Type something here if you want your game to have a title. This will be visible to players looking through the list of open challenges.
- I Play As - this is only available for non-rated games. Select what color you want to play as, or leave as random.
- Opponent Rating - choose a range of ratings your opponent must fall between. (It's usually best to seek players who are within 200 points of your own current rating.)
- Setup - Choose from a variety of setups
- Standard setup - This is the normal chess setup we are all familiar with, the default setting
- Chess960 - See more info here about Chess960
- Book opening - This will open another menu where you can choose from hundreds of opening positions from the Encyclopedia of Chess Openings.
- Custom FEN - Enter the FEN from any point in any game to start playing from that position!
- Minimum Games Played - enter a number to only match with players who have finished that many games or more.
- Allow takebacks? - this option is only available for non-rated games. Takeback games allow for players to take back or ‘undo’ moves that have been played on the board. This setting is often used for teaching purposes.
- Avoid Time-Outs - enable this avoid players with a high percentage (over 10%) of time-outs.
- Player Move Speed - this will filter for players whose average move speed is equal to or lower than whatever option you select. You can check your own average move speed in your Stats.
- Premium Members Only - toggling this will match you only with a gold, platinum or diamond member of the site. You must be a premium member yourself to see this option.
Note: Be aware that putting narrow restrictions in the settings may cause long wait times to find an opponent who matches your requirements.