How do I update my browser?
No matter what browser you use, it's important to make sure it is kept up to date on the latest version available. Many websites (not just Chess.com!) may not function properly if your browser is out of date!
Follow these simple steps to make sure your browser is current with the latest version!
On Chrome, normally updates happen in the background when you close and reopen your computer's browser. But if you haven't closed your browser in a while, you might see a pending update:
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top right, look at 'More'
- If an update is pending, the icon will be colored:
- Green: An update was released less than 2 days ago.
- Orange: An update was released about 4 days ago.
- Red: An update was released at least a week ago.
To update Google Chrome:
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top right, click More
- Click Help > About Google Chrome.
- Click Update Google Chrome.
- Important: If you can't find this button, you're on the latest version.
- Click Relaunch.
Chrome saves your opened tabs and windows and reopens them automatically when it restarts. Your Incognito windows won't reopen when Chrome restarts. If you'd prefer not to restart right away, click Not now. The next time you restart your browser, the update will be applied.
The above was taken from Chrome's support page here.
By default, Firefox updates automatically. You can always check for updates at any time, in which case an update is downloaded, but it is not installed until you restart Firefox.
- Click the menu button at the right side of the Firefox toolbar, go to Help, and select About Firefox. The About Mozilla Firefox window will open.
- Firefox will check for updates automatically. If an update is available, it will be downloaded.
- When the download is complete, click Restart to update Firefox.
Stay safe: Download only from the official Mozilla links above to avoid malware and other online threats.
The above was taken from the Mozilla support page here.
By default, Microsoft Edge automatically updates when you restart your browser. However, there are two situations where you may need to manually download an update:
- Metered connections, whether cellular, wi-fi or Ethernet, have data limits associated with them. Because an update may involve a large data transfer, we let you decide when to update. For more information about metered settings in Windows 10, go to Metered connections in Windows 10.
- If you recently purchased your device in China and it has cellular capabilities, your updates may be turned off by default.
If either of the categories above apply to you, use the following procedures to update your browser:
To manually update:
In the browser, go to Settings and more > Help and feedback > About Microsoft Edge (edge://settings/help).
- If the About page shows Microsoft Edge is up to date., you don't need to do anything.
- If the About page shows An update is available. Select Download and install to proceed. Network charges may apply., select Download and install. Microsoft Edge will download the update an apply it the next time you restart Microsoft Edge. Note that if you're on cellular network, downloading the update may incur charges.
- If the About page shows To finish updating, restart Microsoft Edge., select Restart. The update is already downloaded and all you need to do is restart the browser for it to be applied.
The above was taken from Microsoft's support page here.
- From the Apple menu in the corner of your screen, choose System Preferences.
- In the System Preferences window, click Software Update.
If your System Preferences doesn't include Software Update, use the App Store to get updates instead.
- Install any updates or upgrades shown. The most up-to-date version of Safari is included with the latest version of macOS.
The above was taken from the Apple support page here.
Some commonly used browsers are not supported on our website, and may cause issues.
IE (Internet Explorer) Is no longer being updated by Microsoft, and may not function properly on our website, and many other websites. If you are still using IE, we strongly recommend switching to a modern browser. Microsoft's current browser is Edge, which is automatically installed on all windows 10 PCs.
Opera is also not supported by our website, and may cause issues for some users.