Advanced Editor Tools Help
Basic instructions for entering content
Chess.com uses a rich editor that allows you to have control over what you post! The WYSWYG editor allows you to create content with word processor-like formatting. Type your content directly in, then highlight the text you wish to style (make bold, italic or change the text color for example). Copying and pasting content into the editor from other sources works as well but note that the content may require some additional styling and formatting after being added. Also, pasting in content that was copied from Word or email software can sometimes add extra line spaces.
The length of the editor can be increased or decreased by dragging the lower right corner handle.
Use this Chess.com exclusive feature to insert chess diagrams, replayable games, or interactive puzzles. Click the chessboard icon to open the Chess.com editor. For more information on how to adjust diagrams, read this.
You can use this button to embed a video from YouTube into your post. When you click on this button, a popup will show with options. Click on "Embed" and paste the embed code from YouTube into the text box:
Use this feature to insert images into your document. You can either upload an image directly or copy and paste a URL to an external image.
You can add either web page links or email links to your document using the link button. The other button is the unlink button used to remove links, but keep the text in place. Here are your options:
- Link URL: For a web link, enter the full web address starting with http:// and for a email link enter mailto: followed by the email address.
- Text to Display: This is what the text will say for the link.
Target: By default links will open in the same browser window. To have links open in a new browser window, select "Open link in new window" from the dropdown list.
Title: Enter the anchor text your want to have appear when a user mouses over the link.
Use these to insert different list types into your document. The two types are shown below:
To insert a table, select the Table button. Clicking on the button will bring up a menu which allows you to select the size of the table by moving your mouse over the empty squares.
Once inserted, you can adjust aspects of the table's properties by clicking the "Table Properties" button.
This will open a menu which allows you to customize all aspects of the table:
- Width: How wide each cell is. This can also be adjusted by clicking and dragging on the black squares on the corners of the table.
- Height: How tall each cell is. This can also be adjusted by clicking and dragging on the black squares on the corner of each table.
- Cell Spacing: How much space is inbetween each cell.
- Cell Padding: How much space is inbetween each cell's contents and its borders.
- Border: How thick the border between cells is.
- Caption: Add a caption to the table
- Alignment: How the contents of the cell will be aligned. You can choose between Left, Center, and Right alignment.
Insert Horizontal Line
Click this button to insert a horizontal line into your document. This will appear as a grey line across the document and can help serve as a natural break in content.
If you click this button a small window will pop up that gives you the choice of 72 different smiley faces (also called emoticons) or icons. To insert the emoticon of your choice, click on it in the window and it will appear in your document and the window will close.
These buttons will undo and redo the last actions done in the editor. The standard keyboard shortcuts for undo and redo also work for both the Windows and Mac.
Full Screen Mode
Clicking the "Toggle full screen mode" button will open the editor in a new window what is full screen size. This makes it easy to see much more of the document you are editing. To return the WYSIWYG editor to the original size, click the Full Screen button again.
Bold, Italics, Underline
- Bold: This feature makes text bold. First select the text you want to make bold, then click this button. You can undo the bold by clicking this button after you have re-selected text that is already bold.
- Italics: This feature adds italics to text. First select the text you want to italicize, then click this button. You can undo the italics by clicking this button after you have selected text that is already italicized.
- Underline: This feature adds an underline to text. First select the text you want to underline, then click this button. You can undo the underline by clicking this button after you have selected text that is already underlined.
Alignment and Justification
You can use these buttons to change the alignment of text, graphics, and tables in your document. Each button shows its alignment - left, center, right, and full.
You can use this feature to add color and make parts of your article stand out. Just use your mouse to select the text you want to change and then push this button with your mouse. To change the font color, click on the small down arrow next to the button. Try not to over-use this feature, as it can be irritating to the viewer. To remove color, click the 'X' in the lower right corner.
You can use this feature to highlight the background behind text, just like a highlighter on regular paper. Use this to draw attention to important text. Just use your mouse to select the text you want to highlight and then push this button with your mouse. To change the highlight color, click on the small down arrow next to the button. To remove color, click the 'X' in the lower right corner.
You can change the font size used to display text. Use your mouse to select the text you want to change, and then use the drop-down menu to choose the size of font you want. Try not to over-use this feature, as it can be irritating to read a lot of larger text.
You can change the type of font used to display text. Use your mouse to select the text that you want to change, and then use the drop-down menu to choose the font you want.
If the information in this article is out of date, incorrect, or unclear, or if you have questions about it, please let us know!